Reuben Miles 1791-1855
Relationship to me in tree :
Thomas Freeman Lugg (grandfather) –>
Mother Eleanor Wilson (great grandmother) –>
Mother Lydia Atkins Miles (gr gr grandmother)–>
Mother Reuben Miles (gr gr gr grandfather)–>
Reuben Miles was born in Potterspury in Northamptonshire, his life in or near Towcester is sketchy, I have not found any records. The place is within easy driving distance, but am not sure I can get any additional details by visiting.
He moved to London St Luke, Old Street area, and I am sure he married in around 1811 as he mentions a step daughter Jane in his will, I have been unable to locate this record.
He marries Lydia Thornlow (Thornloe) in 1824 as a widower. They have 4 children Lydia Atkins; Reuben Joseph; Ellen Thornloe; Mary Elizabeth.
Whilst living in London, he makes what seems to be quite a very good living, and takes on the licence of the Broad Arrow pub in Milton Street, and amasses a property portfolio of at least 7 properties.
In his previous Wills he leaves various relatives and I have extracted the poignant details, which illustrates his wealth, but all of it gone by the time my mother came along…or it went to other family members:
it starts….I Reuben Miles of 88 Milton Street, Saint Lukes in the county of Middlesex
- My son in law Samuel Wilson and my friends George Bow of No1 Edward Court Clements Bank in the City of London Architect and John Jarvis of No 14 Barnes Place, Mile End Road my trustees and executors.
- £10 and my 2 freehold houses 14 and 15 Bell Alley, Goswell Street.
- Son-in-law James Edmunds his heirs etc….my real and personal estate as per executors.
- He tells them to sell assets to give income to:
- My step daughter Jane wife of William Edward £10pa
- My sister Elizabeth Miles £16 pa
- My 2 daughters to get equal shares:
- Lydia Atkins wife of Samuel Wilson
- Ellen Thornlow wife of James Edmunds
Then goes onto list various family members to get some of the estate:
- Samuel Wilson and James Edmunds (aforesaid)
- Brothers James Miles of Towcester
- Benjamin Miles of Buckingham
- Brother in law Thomas Thornlow of South Kilworth, Leics
- Sister in law Sarah Wilson (widow) residing with me
- Rebecca Henry (?or Newry) of Battersea widow
- Ann Collis Garrett Lane, Wandsworth widow
- Mary Edmunds of Norton near Daventry, Northants widow
Next will – guess it must have been the final one:
- Mentions painting, pictures and printed books
- Daughter Ellen Thornlow Edmunds £100
- Daughter Lydia Thornlow No3 Burnard Terrace St Mary, Islington (leasehold premises)
- Brother Benjamin £19 and 19 shillings
- Sister Elizabeth annuity £16 16 shillings
The will confirmed many relatives in the tree.
His wife Lydia Thornlow died the year before him, and he remarries wait for it…his son-in-laws mother Sarah Thornlow (Wilson) who is my Gr gr gr grandmother. They are only married for a year and he dies 6 November 1855.
The Uncle Wilson was brother to my Mothers father, and he was always known as Uncle Babe.